Saturday, January 10, 2009

Tour via Google Maps

Talk about "stay-cation"--I have recently discovered the Street Level function of Google Maps and took a tour around the US. I started with my own town, because I wanted to see how close to my own house I could get. Turns out I can actually "stand" right in front of my house, look in my car, see my neighbor's houses...a little creepy. I tooled around town, checking out different areas. I spent a lot of time trying to pinpoint when the photos were taken, and decided, considering the banners across main street, fireworks booths being out and the river being full meant that it was in June, and the level of construction on the new Starbucks/Mr. Pickle building and the existence of our now gone van in front of my house, that it is most likely 2007.

Next, I checked out my grandparent's old house in Penngrove CA. They sold it back in 1993, and it is now a Montessori School. I went to New York City and toured Manhattan. I spent a good deal of time checking out Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and the Museum of Natural History building. I also went to Washington DC (in preparation for my real trip next month) and "stood" at the foot of the Washington Monument.

What an inexpensive and fun way to "tour" different places. I was a little bummed that Hawaii is not mapped yet. Soon, I am sure. Google Maps ROCKS!

No comments: