Saturday, January 3, 2009

My dog and other things


I took this picture of my dog, Shilo this morning. She is a border collie, nearly 12 years old. She's a fence jumper, and I started out my day outside in the 40 degree weather catching her out front. I was not happy.

I watched two really weird movies today, Palindromes and The Secret. Let me tell you, I do not recommend either if you don't have a high threshold for weird stuff. Palindromes was about a girl so motivated, at the age of 13, to get pregnant that she sleeps with a variety of boys and men, which was highly uncomfortable to watch. What was particularly difficult to deal with was that the lead character Aviva was played by 5 or 6 different actors, younger, older, black, white, skinny, fat...I know it was an important plot device, but it was very unsettling. The movie dealt with pedophilia, abortion, religious fundamentalist attacks, and so on. The write up did not even scratch the surface of the plot.

The Secret was a twist on the Freaky Friday concept, with the mother and daughter trading places, except that, after an accident, the mother dies and her spirit inhabits her daughter. She manages to convince her husband (David Duchovny), and struggles with learning about her daughter's life, drug use and sexual activity. There are some very uncomfortable moments where the father/daughter get way too close...nothing inappropriate happens, but I was more than a little squeamish. Above all, not the greatest of movies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh! I disagree about The Secret. I found it to be an extremely well acted and very interesting. I thought they handled the mother/daughter switch very well. I had no problem at all watching it. I never felt uncomfortable. Olivia T was teriffic and so was Duchovny