Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Starbucks

So, we all know that Starbucks has a bad rep, being corporate and ruthless in their takeovers of small markets and such. My most favorite Lewis Black bit is about the Starbucks with a Starbucks across the street, in the same building as the first one. He claims that the only people who would need that kind of Starbucks saturation would be Alzheimer's patients. I would disagree with that--there are Starbucks that are smelly, grimey or otherwise undesireable which warrant another option. There are also days that require another cup of coffee, incognito (I mean, who wants to go back again and again for a fix from the same all-seeing barista? Caffeine paranoia, anyone?). But this is not why I needed to write to you today.

I like the "vintage" Starbucks cups. They are marketing their Pike's Place Roast in honor of their original store in Seattle (opened in 1971 for anyone who cares). They have rolled out the original, double tailed mermaid design in brown on their cups, all of their promo signs are written like cafe chalk boards, and there are these cute green cup spout stoppers that you can get. Those are completely unnecessary and wasteful, especially if you are (and you SHOULD be) using your own cup. But I love little details and gadgets and these are cool nonetheless.

Here's the thing about Starbucks, though. First of all, I am adverse to spending $4 on a cup of coffee. I just can't justify it, especially when regular food is now a fortune and you have to be a millionaire to fill your car's gas tank. I have been getting just brewed coffee, but even that, at a buck seventy-five, is pricey when you consider I can make it myself for mere pennies. Second of all, I go through cycles of not being able to tolerate their coffee. It is so darkly roasted that it tastes scorched to me, and I am not happy with it. I drink espresso elsewhere and it is rich, chocolaty and not BURNED. But at Starbucks, they pride themselves in this roasting style.

But I love to sit there in the squishy chairs, slowly sipping a cup of joe, talking with my companion, whomever they may be (oh, who am I kidding? It will be mom). It is amazing that Starbucks has built an empire on selling a stimulant drug in an environment for relaxing.

Okay, gotta go get a cuppa.

No comments: