Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Ashland part 2

During my last trip to Ashland, culinary experiences were nearly as important to me as theatrical ones. I took my brother (the other theatre geek in the family) with me, for our almost annual trip together. We had lunch one day at Pilaf, a spectacular poly-ethnic restaurant. I particularly enjoyed the Mediterranean selections, including fabulous pita bread and hummus, and so many of their selections are vegetarian, and so healthy. Really tasty food, and my brother, a confirmed meat-and-potatoes person, was satisfied. The restaurant was closed for a while, but their website says that they will be back up and running.

We had dinner at Standing Stone Brewery. That was fantastic, despite the long wait to get a seat. The atmosphere was exhilarating, with live music, beer brewing paraphernalia adorning the walls and the noisy, talkative clientèle. We had a beer sampler, a cute tray of shooters containing their 7 brews, arranged from lightest to darkest. Their Honey Ale was sweet and refreshing, and my favorite, though the stout was particularly interesting, strong and complex. That was my bro's favorite. The food was great, too. He had buffalo burger, and I ate yellow thai curry. Both dishes were strong enough flavors to really stand up to the beer.

We had another lunch at a little deli on the main drag, but I forgot the name of it. Its a shame, since it was such a great little place. We had hearty soups and some really tasty sandwiches made with excellent bread and cheeses. Attached was a little culinary shop featuring hard to find spices and condiments, a wide selection of wines and other treats.

In the next installment: What else to do in Ashland


No comments: