Friday, April 11, 2008

Local Food, Trying New Restaurants

For the past several weeks we have been eating out more than usual--we have been extremely busy and either don't find time to grocery shop, or are too exhausted to cook what we have. It's okay, since I have gotten to try a variety of new-ish places in town.

We have eaten lunch at the new Cowgirl Cafe a few times. This is the place on Main St. that used to be Red Rock Cafe, and before that, The Feedbag. They focus on burgers and other hearty, "cowgirl sized" fare, or at least that is how their pancakes are described. I really loved their green chili cheese burger. It was a well seasoned burger on a toasted bun and topped with jack cheese and an ortega chili. Really tasty, and huge! I was also a fan of their patty melt, and they put it on sourdough for me instead of the rye it usually comes on (I HATE RYE BREAD!) Apparently, Cowgirl Cafe is a franchise, and there are others like it all around California. The theme is really appropriate, this being cow country and all, and I am sure it will be packed solid when the Red Bluff Round Up starts next weekend. The decor is very rustic, with barbed wire and rope motifs framing the old rodeo posters and western accoutrement adorning the walls. I particularly love the horsey next to the front door which serves at their mailbox. I am always disappointed that they serve Coke products instead of Pepsi, but have really liked what I've seen so far.

We also have eaten at Carlito's. This one is in the spot Francisco's used to be in. Man, do I miss Francisco's, with their tasty white sauce on their chili rellenos...mmmmmm! But Carlito's has impressed me as well. First of all, when I walked in with my 16 month old neice, she was handed crayons and a placemat right away, which curbed a tantrum. At my first visit I ordered Chili Verde, and it was wonderful, tender and juicy and perfectly seasoned. They also remembered to leave the guacamole off (I am deathly allergic to avocados, and I always tell servers that. I have actually had restaurants forget to hold it, scrape it off my entree, and cover up the green residue with sour cream. So then I eat it and spend the rest of the day in a Benedryl coma). The second visit I had Pollo al a Crema, which was very good, sort of tart and creamy, with nice vegetables and a sauce that was really tasty on rice. I did not like the chips on the table, however. They tasted as though they were cooked in really old oil. The salsa was good, but the chips were terrible! The restaurant's decor has not changed much since the building's Francisco's days, as it still has the beautiful mural of prominent Latino figures on the back wall, bright colors, etc.

I love food, so as I try various places, I will report to you.

No comments: